I love designing and building things, in both the digital and physical worlds. I believe fine craftsmanship isn't only in the final product, but is most fully expressed in the people, process, and details along the way.
- Greatly improved enterprise administrator user experience by designing and implementing an in-product dashboard, making it possible for users to take frequent administrative actions and answer common analytics questions without specialist assistance.
- Increased reliability of the billing and invoicing system, ensuring invoices and payments are processed in a robust and timely manner.
- Improved security by auditing and isolating third-party libraries on the production website in a future-proof and maintainable way.
- Designed and implemented a robust audit logging solution for all actions taken in the internal customer service system.
- Increased site reliability by launching a custom Kubernetes cluster for running non-production workloads and validating Kubernetes upgrades prior to deploying them to the production cluster.
- Increased site reliability by devising and implementing a process for safely upgrading our Kubernetes clusters between minor versions without downtime.
- Increased developer productivity by building and deploying a new auto-scaling Jenkins cluster for running build jobs.
- Increased visibility into pending production problems by building many different custom server monitoring services, Grafana display dashboards, and automated alerts.
- Continue to maintain, document, support, and implement new features in the Experiences platform.
- Enabled real-time votes for two major televised events by building, load testing, deploying, and monitoring a distributed system capable of ingesting more than 10,000 requests per second over a 10-minute period with 99.9% response latency of less than a second.
- Allowed customers to intuitively analyze and export advanced analytics around their social media visualizations by building and maintaining the front and back-end systems to query and display terabytes of stored analytics data in real-time.
- Improved developer team productivity by building, documenting, maintaining, and improving several internal SDKs for building and displaying WYSIWYG-customizable social media visualizations.
- Helped customers generate excitement around their brands and events by building highly-customized interactive social media visualizations using modern front-end technologies and our original internal SDK.
- Built and maintained high-availability systems and APIs to stably process thousands of customer payments daily.
- Decreased payment processing fees by building and maintaining custom payment gateway interfaces with many different payment providers.
- Made customer payment process simpler and faster by building a new checkout page for VRBO.com, including in-line form validation and display of dynamic order total and promotional codes.
- Ensured data integrity and privacy by implementing secure and low-latency systems to tokenize and store sensitive customer data.
- Helped customize customer software deployments to their specific needs by building, testing, and deploying a new interface control for the main product.
- Decreased customer friction by fixing dozens of long-standing bugs in the code base.
- Increased developer productivity by building a utility for validating current database structure against contents.
- Decreased telescope control system code/test iteration time by writing an emulator for the current HETDEX telescope dome control server in Python.
- Investigated different non-relational databases for use in storing nightly logs in an easily searchable manner, and made a recommendation as to which to use (MongoDB).
- Made real-time and affordable broadcast, viewing, interaction with a video sermon at remote locations possible.
- Designed and built the full video broadcast system from off-the-shelf hardware and open-source software while working as part of a team of several people.
- I consider every project with a useful top-level README.md file "launched", though I strive to ensure all my projects are written for people other than myself to maintain and/or learn from.
|Linux||NixOS, Arch, Ubuntu, systemd, system upgrades and maintenance|
|Miscellaneous||Distributed Systems, High-traffic APIs, Node.js, Kubernetes, Grafana, Git, AWS, Terraform, Rails, Finatra, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Kafka, JVM Tuning|